Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Some serious talk....

OK, now to talk about the biggest reason I decided to start blogging. I was recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I first noticed some unusual pains in my shoulders and arms around my 24th birthday, 2 years ago this January. The pains were enough to keep me awake at night and to limit my ability to use them at times. I went to my family Doctor in May of 2007. She ran blood work to test me for RA and other diseases. They all came back negative. Then I went to a Rheumatoligist several times. He clearly blew me off due to my young age. He told me that it was stress related and that I just needed to do some upper body exercises. I thought that he must know best, so I went on with the pains and tried to deal with them. After I had my son this past August, the pains spread from just being in my shoulders and arms, to also being in my hands, fingers, hips, knees, ankles, toes, and even in my neck and jaw once! Instead of the pains just lasting a day or two here and there, they were coming and staying for months at a time! It was becoming unbearable! I couldn't even lift my baby out of his bassinet, or change his diaper and feed him!! I made an appointment with a different family doctor, and he too ran blood tests. This time they came back positive and I was diagnosed with RA. I have many appointments ahead of me. I go this Thursday to take a bone density test, and to get chest and hand xrays done. Then the day before Thanksgiving, I go back to my Dr. to start on my steroids and other pain medicines. Then on January 5th, I go to St. Louis to meet with my Rheumatoligist.



Now that I have been diagnosed with RA, I have heard about a lot of other people having it as well. If you, or anyone you know has RA, I would really appreciate a comment. Just tell me your story, or the story of the person you know . Maybe you can tell me what medicines you/they are taking and how it effects you/them. Or maybe you have some words of encouragement for me. Whatever it is, I would love to hear from anyone!!!! Thank you!

2 comments:

Mrs. Zachary Evans said...

Hi Hannah, it's Sarah...
I just wanted to let you know I know a little bit about what you're going through. I had RA when I was little. Since I had it when I was younger it was called JR. RA, since I grew out of it. I had it when I was about 6 or 7. It was soley in my knees. I remember one time my knee got stuck in the bent position and my parents had to take me to the ER. I don't remember much about having it, other than my knees would ache constantly and that one trip to the ER. I couldn't even tell you if I took anything special for it, which probably wouldn't matter because I was little and whatever they had back then couldn't be nearly as good as what they have come out with today. I know I am probably not much help, but I just thought I would share my experience. Hope you figure something out and that you start to feel a little better. I'm sure that it's hard to ache that bad and have to lug little Porter around. I'm here for you if you need anything!

That's What She Said said...

My niece, Skye, is in 3rd grade now, but she has had JRHA (Juvenile) since I can remember. We noticed it when she first started walking. In the mornings, she would not walk, but crawl due to the pain and stiffness in her joints. She was diagnosed shortly after. She has sees a doctor in STL also. She has taken a variety of medication, including steroids, and some other stuff that is not good on her liver. She has had some setbacks. She was allergic to one of the medications and it sent her into a painful reaction. We could not even touch her or she would scream. Her toes are deformed and she will never have pretty feet. She wears a splint on some of her fingers now, but it doesn't seem to bother her. She is the most adorable, outgoing, loving, and happy little girl ever. I could use her around more often to remind me that life really is good. I promise to keep you in my prayers. Please keep her in your prayers. I hope everything works out for you.